Image Map

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: My Thoughts

It's back to Middle Earth and time to pull out the one ring again. It's about time!

I love, love, love The Lord of the Rings. So you can probably imagine my excitement when I first found out that Peter Jackson was making The Hobbit. I did, however, get very nervous when I found out he was turning a 300 and so page book into three 2 1/2 hour movies. It didn't seem to make any sense to me, but more Middle Earth is always a good thing. Or so I thought.

The first Hobbit film was quite enjoyable; I liked it but I didn't love it, not in the same way I loved LOTR. It did immerse me back into the world of Middle Earth, which Peter Jackson does so well. But it left me feeling like I just really wanted to watch the original trilogy. I did love the dwarves though, all of them but especially the introduction of the ridiculously attractive, yet ridiculously elf-like, Kili. It must be something to do with long, dark hair and beards because I felt the same way about Aragorn in the original trilogy. But I don't find either actor attractive with their usual clean cut, short hair appearance. Strange! The power of Middle Earth. 


I am soooo glad they included elves in this. Mainly because, LEGOLAS! I had such a crush on him in the first three films but it seems to have all gone down hill since then. I think it's the weird freaky eyes. In the first films his eyes were sometimes light blue and sometimes brown, but in Hobbit they just look creepy. They're very elfish but I'd rather they looked similar to the other films as it really threw me off. He still kicks ass with a bow, and Evangeline Lily was really great at that too. I felt a lot of his scenes kind of stole the film, I'd missed all the Elf action!


I think the hard thing to deal with is how much of this movie is just made up. Tauriel's character was one that didn't exist in the original book, and I didn't really get why she was needed. Her moments with Kili were just a bit odd, where she seemed to be doing him with her eyes. I thought she was going to be a love interest for Legolas, if I am completely honest. She kind of was but kind of wasn't and it was all rather strange to me. But, as I have said, she does provide some amazing fighting sequences and is nifty with a bow.


Now I have seen rave reviews for The Hobbit. Some say it is so much better than the first movie, that they feel the first film had so many issues. I have to believe that we were seeing a different film. Both myself and my friend were bored to death by the end. It starts of strong but begins to drag. Peter Jackson should have stuck to two movies at the most, there quite clearly wasn't enough material to go around. It takes Smaug about an hour just to get a sentence out and that grows old really quick.

This had a lot of promise, but as soon as the dwarves reach Lake-town it really slows down and I got really bored. I started doing a lot of googling of random Hobbit related things on my phone because I was that bored. I was so excited to see this and was left feeling really disappointed.

I'm hoping it's just a case of not having enough material for three films and this is like the filler film. I'm hoping the third film is such an epic conclusion that I forget all about the horror that was Desolation of Smaug. If you've seen it then I would love to know what you thought? If you loved it, then what did I miss?

Now to cheer myself up!


8 comments:

  1. I'm interested to see this movie because I really enjoyed the first one. I still think the original LotR movies are my favorite, but The Hobbit is enjoyable as well. I'll probably wait until it's on DVD though, because I hate spending a lot of money on movies I don't completely enjoy, and lately that has been happening waaaay too much.

    (Oh, and Aragorn? Yum.)

    Sydney @ Utterly Booksih

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed The Hobbit, but I do prefer the original LOTRs. Luckily a new independent cinema has opened here and it's only £4 a ticket there! I hope you enjoy it when you see it :)

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I'm expecting to be disappointed. Sad huh? I just really think they're milking it too much, the movies are too long and they don't need 3 movies to tell this story. The made up bits will probably annoy me to no end since I like my adaptations as faithful as possible.

    Thanks for the review, it's good to kinda know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, just seems like they are doing three movies so they can make three times the money. But it just means that there's quantity but a lot less quantity! I much prefer faithful adaptations as well. Hopefully you like it more than I did :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't read the book andI did enjoy this one. I did think the first one was a little better though but overall I had fun. Excepy for the last 15 minutes because I really had to go to the bathroom. lol. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I really wanted to! I hate when that happens, I went once and missed a cool Legolas fight scene.

      Delete
  4. I find I need to be in the mood to watch anything LOTR related. I did enjoy the first Hobbit. Plus we saw it in 3D (my first time) and it was amazing when Gollum was throwing rocks at me. I flinched. Several times. I still want to see the second one, but I'm not sure if I'll wait until it's out on DVD first. Eh. I'm a bit worried about Smaug's hour-long sentences. Is he an ent?!! Come on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it did feel like he was an ent - that was exactly what my friend and I compared him too. It got a tiny bit tiresome. Hopefully you enjoy it though :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, it always makes my day! Because of time restraints, this is now an award free zone but thanks so much for considering me! Feel free to leave a link to your own blog and I will come visit.