Image Map

Witch Finder by Ruth Warburton: Review


Witch Finder (Witch Finder, #1)
Title: Witch Finder (Witch Finder #1)
Author: Ruth Warburton
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Buy This Book: Book Depository
London. 1880. In the slums of Spitalfields apprentice blacksmith Luke is facing initiation into the Malleus Maleficorum, the fearsome brotherhood dedicated to hunting and killing witches.
Luke’s final test is to pick a name at random from the Book of Witches, a name he must track down and kill within a month, or face death himself. Luke knows that tonight will change his life forever. But when he picks out sixteen-year-old Rosa Greenwood, Luke has no idea that his task will be harder than he could ever imagine.(Goodreads summary.)


This one really took me on a ride, but not a good one. I went from thinking it was going to be a solid four stars, then saw it was probably going to be an iffy three, to then realising it would probably be a 2.5 and that was me being generous. This is a real shame because I loved the cover and the premise sounded very promising. I also want to warn any animal lovers that this book contains some rather brutal scenes of rather hideous treatment of some rather cute animals by some rather douchey men!

This sounded like it could be such a great story. Luke wishes to join the Malleus Maleficorum, a brotherhood that is dedicated to finding and killing witches. Luke is the only person they know who is a Witch Finder; he can see witches and the magic that clings to them. He witnessed his parents deaths at the hands of a witch and has been determined to seek revenge ever since. When he picks Rosa's name, Luke knows that he must track her down and kill her, or risk being killed himself for not completing the task. But Rosa Greenwood isn't what Luke expected, she's not the brutal, unfeeling person he has always imagined every witch to be.

I really loved the premise, it sounds like it could be such an amazing story. Sadly, this didn't really deliver and the story was actually really lacking. Luke and Rosa's romance is something you know is coming, but it takes a long time and then suddenly just happens. I feel like I would have really loved their romance a lot more if we had seen it slowly developing and had more moments between them.

Rosa's family is in a dire way, her father's death has left her devastated and her family struggling. They no longer have the wealth they used to and are struggling to keep up the pretence that they are a rich, powerful family. Rosa's brother Alexis wants her to marry Sebastian Knyvet, who is from one of the most powerful and wealthy witch families. Sebastian, as you quickly realise, is an utter knobhead! There isn't a likeable part about him, but that's the whole point, you aren't supposed to root for him at all and you don't.

My main issue with the book was how slow moving and boring it was. There wasn't much happening for a lot of the book and my interest really began to wane and I felt like I might nod off at times. I was really enjoying it at the beginning, but the story just really began to slow down at the halfway point. To make matters worse, the end seemed really disjointed and it felt like I was reading a different book from the one I started with. I also didn't like that there wasn't much of an ending to speak of, just an abrupt end and the knowledge that if I want any real answers, I will have to read the next book. I have no intentions of picking up the next book, I almost fell asleep reading this one.

2.5/5 Stars

An okay read. The premise sounded promising but the book didn't live up to it. Slow moving, with a romance that suddenly appears rather than building up over time. Really abrupt ending but I am not interested in picking up the sequel to see how it turns out.

*I received a copy of this novel from the author/publisher/publicist via Edelweiss in exchange for a free and honest review and received no monetary compensation for this review.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, no! I love this cover, too, and the premise does sound so interesting. It's too bad you couldn't connect with this and that the pace is too slow. I was hoping that this would find its way over to the states, but it sounds like I should pass even if it does. I hope your next book is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it started out so well too! I am usually very 'Oh it might just be me, maybe you should still give it a try', but this I just can't recommend. I'm hoping the next book I read is wonderful! :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I disliked this one so much, and gave it a 2.5, too *high five*. As soon as the animal cruelty came into it, I was just, nope. It's not redeemable. And the characters, oh how I loathed every one, even the supposed 'good' characters. Which, let's be honest, they all do douchey things. I just wanted Rosa to grow a freaking backbone and wake the hell up. Totally agree though, it was slooooow, and the chapters were looong, and if I hadn't have DNF'D a book before that, I wouldn't have even finished. In a way though, I'm kind of glad I didn't, so I know to avoid the next. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high five* Very glad to see I am not the only person who had some serious issues with this book. I really wanted to DNF, but felt I'd done that too much lately so I stuck with it. I will definitely be avoiding the next one. I couldn't like any of the characters, even Rosa. You're right, she definitely needed to grow a backbone, I had 0 respect for her.

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard a lot of good things about this book. The premise sounded really good, but the text doesn't sound like a good fit for me at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't live up to it's great sounding summary! Will definitely be avoiding the rest of this series.

      Delete
  4. I also gave this book 2.5 stars It was just lacking in so much it could have done well. The animal cruelty and abuse in relationships is a good feature, but not covered correctly. There was so much that could have been changed, and this would have been a much better book. I am with you 100%!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it had the potential to be such a brilliant book and then just didn't deliver. I wish more time had been taken on this, I really think it could have been a brilliant start to series if it had been done well. Glad to see I am not the only person who didn't like this one :)

      Delete
  5. I saw this in a WoW post and with a synopsis like that, I can't help but to put it on my TBR. But now I am having doubts of reading it. Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the synopsis was what made me really want to read it, it sounds so good! If you do end up reading it, I hope you enjoy it more than me and if not, you always have someone to come rant to who will definitely understand :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, it always makes my day! Because of time restraints, this is now an award free zone but thanks so much for considering me! Feel free to leave a link to your own blog and I will come visit.