Image Map

Five Friday Favourites: Not-So-Favourite Leading Lads


Five Friday Favourites is a weekly event hosted by Book Badger, where once a week, a five favourites subject is posted and everyone is welcome to join in. You can find out more about Five Friday Favourites and the future subjects here.


I actually found this weeks topic pretty hard, and I have been thinking of answers for quite a few weeks. I wanted to think of characters who were the narrator or the lead character, but that was hard. If I dislike the narrator then I find it hard to enjoy the book, and if I don't enjoy the book then I will pretty much block it out. So instead I went for love interests and other important characters, but even then I could barely call anyone important to mind. I have had a few lead characters that grated on me a little at times, Harry in full-on hormonal teenage boy mode, but other than that there weren't many. 


                       Edward Cullen
I have read all of the Twilight books, and have quite a love hate relationship with the series. I've enjoyed the books and seen all the movies, even though neither is really all that great in terms of fiction or cinema. But, as far as characters go, Bella and Edward are two of the worst I have ever come across. I think Edward Cullen might be one of my least favourite guy characters ever, for so many different reasons. If he existed in real life, even if you ignore the vampire part, you would not find him attractive or romantic, you would find him creepy. Imagine if a guy you didn't really know admitted that he had been sneaking into your room at night to watch you sleep. CREEPY! You would not be proclaiming your undying love for the guy, you would be phoning the police. Add on the fact that he's controlling, possessive and tells you who you can and can't be friends with, and he is actually the picture perfect example of who NOT to date. Not to mention he is a 100-year-old old guy who is trying to be with a 17 year old girl. CREEPY! I might as well admit this now too, I don't really understand why everyone finds Robert Pattinson attractive either.


Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)Travis Maddox


Argh, I can't even fully describe or put into words how much I hate this character. Trying to come up with my answers for this topic is what started my post about how I feel abusive relationships are romanticised in fiction. I have seen so many women swooning over this character on Goodreads and it infuriates me. If you are one of those women who swoon over him and think he is desirable, then please, I beg you, seek help. He is in no way swoon worthy. He is a gross human being who has anger issues and a really controlling personality. He is really manipulative and I see no reason why any woman would find him attractive as a character. I can't actually bring myself to list all the things that are wrong with him again, it will just get me worked up again. If you need a list of reasons, you can find them here.


The Selection (The Selection, #1)
Prince Maxon
Did you just call her dear?
He is just soooooo dull! He just isn't that great of a leading man or love interest. He's just so sweet at times and yet he spends all his time off kissing other women. He also refers to all women as dear, and that really grated on me over time. How old is he supposed to be, 100? In this series, I don't actually care for once who the girl chooses, we all know it will be dull, boring Maxon in the end.
Cruel Beauty

Ignifex

Women just seem to love these characters that are essentially just arses. And also hundreds of years older than the girls they want to get with. Why does no one find it creepy that he is hundreds of years older than the girl sleeps with? If he physically looked his age then people would be disgusted, but because he looks young, no one cares. This bugs me, just because he looks young doesn't make him young. He's an old man, she's a young girl... it's creepy. Plus, he's just such an asshole!


Splintered (Splintered, #1)
Morpheus

Die, Morpheus, die!!!
Again, he is more creepy than attractive. I'm sure he was way older in years than Alyssa as well. He is also supposed to be a dead-ringer for Brandon Lee in The Crow. Now, Brandon Lee in The Crow is super attractive, but did Morpheus really have to look like him. He died making that film, I found that reference in bad taste. I like NICE guys, why are so many books full of d**ks! When he appeared I kind of wanted to get out my bug spray and end the guy.




So, what have we learnt today, blogosphere? Basically, I hate arseholes and controlling people; and if I see a controlling arsewhole, well I will just about lose my freaking mind!







And my giveaway to celebrate reaching 850 Bloglovin' followers!





My Weekly Book Haul
Nantucket Red by Leila Howland: Review
To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han: Review
Monthly Recap: Catching Up
Goddess by Laura Powell: Review
Films for Thoughts on Thursday: Epic


23 comments:

  1. I so agree with Maxon. He's very dull. I didn't like it also when he calls all the girls dear. Just no.
    I love Ignifex and Morpheus though. Especially Ignifex. I guess I really have a thing for bad boys.
    But I had to laugh with the GIF you used for Morpheus. lol. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maxon makes me snore! Seriously, America could do so much better, I know he is a Prince but he has NO personality. I would love to bug spray Morpheus, dude annoyed the crap out of me.

      Delete
  2. I have a love/hate relationship with Edward... as a school librarian I wish parents would find out more about the book before they give it to their susceptible ten year old's just because they watched the movie. Or at least read it with them so they can discuss what is acceptable in real life and what should stay in fantasy... okay rant over! Thanks for a great post :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish that to, they definitely should have a discussion about what is acceptable and not acceptable behaviour in a relationship. Edward is not a desirable guy to go for if you are looking for a normal, healthy relationship.

      Delete
  3. HAHAHA! Well, I thought Edward was okay. Kinda creepy, but okay. I really liked him in the movies! Prince Maxon though--DIE. He's SO BORING with ZERO charm and he just acts all high and mighty. Nuh uh. No likey. I like Ignifex, though, but GENERALLY I'm not a fan of arses. NO TO MORPHEUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HE IS SO DULL! America can do way better, and she isn't even that great either. Haha, I am not a fan of arses either, they are irritating and wind me up to read.

      Delete
  4. I AM SKIPPING THE MORPHEUS PART AND JUST PRETENDING THAT WAS NEVER SAID.
    ...
    (lol, okay, I'm kidding. Each to their own. ;) I don't blame you!) XD

    I agree with Prince Maddox. Ugh. I actually think America could do better than EITHER of her triangle options. And I've only read Twilight so I can't fully comment on Edward. He didn't particularly grab my attention anyway. *shrugs* This was quite a funny post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, I was thinking I should do a 'Cait, AVERT YOUR EYES!' right before it because I know how much you love him. He's just not for me. *grabs bugs spray*

      I think America could do way better to, but she's an idiot. I can't really do funny... I can definitely do ranting though :)

      Delete
  5. YAY, MORPHEUS IS ON YOUR LIST! I have been telling my fellow book bloggers about this, that Morpheus IS NOT dreamy. He's old and manipulative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!! Happy that people agree about Morpheus, I hate that guy.

      Delete
    2. I know! I wish Alyssa chooses Jeb in the end, or maybe she can choose to be an independent woman!

      Delete
  6. Ohhhhh dear. We're about to have a bookish fallout (but not really though). I have to say, I SEE the controlling side of Travis Maddox, I really do, and I SEE how it isn't a healthy relationship (then again look at my ex's, wait I'm seeing a pattern developing here...)! But I couldn't put Beautiful Disaster down and here are my reasons why I don't necessarily agree with the relationship, but it made for bloody good reading:

    1. Neither of these characters have a "normal" life, they've been exposed to so much and have experienced so much that will ultimately affect their behaviours and outlook.
    2. It was the ultimate in escapism - dudes getting tattoos, major love declarations and a chick living with someone because of a bet? Uhh, that doesn't happen during my 9-5, so I guiltily enjoyed that aspect.
    3. I don't know if some people like the controlling aspect so much as the idea of a "macho" man who loves you so much they are compelled to behave in a certain way. Add that to the multitude of women who feel the need to "save" a man, or make him reach his own potential, and you have a recipe for disaster, but a brilliant read. This shit is real, there is actual scientific evidence to back this up!

    I am planning to get the second book in this duology that is told from Travis' point of view to see if that sheds more light on his character as well. Cuz I have to say, Abby had her own share of "faults" and quirks that really grated on me, and would drive me crazy if I was in a realtionship/in love with her too...

    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what bugs me though, that they like the idea of a guy behaving in a certain way because he loves you so much. If he really, really, truly loved you THAT MUCH, then he would RESPECT you. Travis doesn't respect Abby and that is not right. I just hated him, I hated her, hated the relationship. Hated everything. I won't get into it, the ranting post I did on it still gets me riled up!

      Delete
  7. This weeks topic was a hard one so I can see why you went a little off with the romantic interests instead. I agree with Travis but I actually haven't met any of the other lads. Edward is a good one to avoid I think, and I've been considering Splintered but I'm not sure, hmm. Still, a great list with new and older lads in literature, so well done on a tough topic! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hated Travis, actually hate the guy and he isn't even real. Splintered is one that everyone seemed to 100% love and then there was me, who didn't really get it at all. Would love to see what you think if you do read it though.

      Delete
  8. I haven't read any of these books, although I did watch the first Twilight film, just to see what all the excitement was about (still don't get it). I will say, I don't think the creepy stalker guy / dysfunctional romance is a new phenomenon. Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights is every bit as awful as the guys on your list sound. Maybe there is some fundamental flaw in our DNA or culture that makes these types of creepers appealing to many women?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad so many others don't really get the Twilight thing. Many women clearly need a slap, which is what a lot of these characters probably end up giving them after the 'happy' end is over. I hate it!

      Delete
  9. I did not care for Beautiful Disaster at all, and agree strongly about the Twilight one, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, Travis was such a psycho male lead. The book was riveting, but to call him swoony…just, no. And I did not like Morpheus at all, which really kept me from loving that book. So many people loved him, but he just creeped me out. And Maxon…I need to reread those books before the last one comes out because I barely remember anything. But I do remember not liking the fact that he was kissing other girls. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I barely remember anything either, but I want to read the third so I think a series reread is in order... AGAIN! I wish I was one of those people who could remember every little part of a book, but I am just not.

      I am so pleased to find someone else who could not enjoy that book, I felt like the only one. I just feel like he was a really poor male lead, I did not like him at all.

      Delete
  11. Wow! This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on all these "love interests." It's great to see what other people's differing opinions about the characters from books that I have read also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I think it's always great to see all the different opinions on characters, it's a lot of fun to see just how differently people see certain characters.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, it always makes my day! Because of time restraints, this is now an award free zone but thanks so much for considering me! Feel free to leave a link to your own blog and I will come visit.