Image Map

Hamilton Book Tag: Music & Books Collide



I might be slightly obsessed with the Hamilton album - and by slightly, I mean that it is ALL I listen to at the moment. I can't help myself, it is so good. If you are one of the people who don't know what Hamilton is, it's a musical about the founding father Alexander Hamilton, which is currently showing on Broadway. The album, which is incredible, just won a grammy - that it completely deserves. If I could afford to travel from London to New York, I would go just to watch that show. Luckily, rumour has it we will be getting it on the West End next year. I WILL BE GOING! The music is incredible, it's all Hip Hop and Rap, and amazing. You can get the whole album on Spotify, so go, do!

So, of course, I was beyond thrilled to find that there has already been a Hamilton book tag created by Maureen. Here you have it guys, the Hamilton book tag! 

1. The Room Where It Happens
I wanna be in the room where it happens
A book world you would put yourself in:

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter!!!
Come on, was there ever going to be any other answer than that one from me. NOPE! Take me to Hogwarts! 

2. The Schuyler Sisters
I've been reading Common Sense by Thomas Paine.
So men say that I'm intense or I'm insane.
You want a revolution? I want a revelation.
So listen to my declaration:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident,
That all men are created equal"
And when I meet Thomas Jefferson
I'm 'a compel him to include women in the sequel!
An underrated female character

This one was hard for me, but I finally decided to go with Manon Blackbeak from the Throne of Glass series. I think Queen of Shadows has made a lot more people warm to her, but I still feel she's underrated and underloved. She fascinated me so much in Heir of Fire, and she's quickly become one of my favourite characters in the whole series. In fact, in Queen of Shadows, I was rooting for her character, whilst wanting to punch Celaena in the face. I love Manon, she's strong and determined, and she also has fantastic character development throughout the series. 


3. My Shot
I am not throwing away my shot
Hey yo, I'm just like my country
I'm young, scrappy and hungry
And I'm not throwing away my shot.
A character that goes after what they want and doesn't let anything stop them.

How about every single villain in the history of ever? I mean, they are the kinds of people who aren't going to let anything or anyone get in their way. I know I should probably go for a hero, who does all they can to get what they want or take down the baddie. I'm not going to do that, I am totally going for Voldemort, as that guy would happily kill anyone and do anything to get what he wants. Go Voldie! 


4. Stay Alive
Stay alive 'til this horror show is past.
We're gonna fly a lot of flags half-mast.
A character you wish was still alive. 

Be warned that the following will have spoilers for Mockingjay and the whole Harry Potter series. But, let's be honest, if you haven't read them by now then you kind of deserved to be spoiled. What have you been doing with your time?!? It's like expecting to not get spoiled about the fact Darth Vader is Luke's father! 

Finnick Odair. Finnick over Prim every single time. I know others would pick Prim, but not me. I would have back the sassy, sarcastic, wonderful Finnick any day. I am still upset they didn't just let him live in the movie. 

The other one is basically every single character that J.K. Rowling killed off in her series. Dumbledore, Sirius, Lupin, Tonks, Fred, Hedwig, Snape, Dobby. I would especially love to have Fred back, please. That one still hurts just to think about it. So yeah, fuck you, J.K. Rowling, you could be one heartless bitch! 


5. Burn
I'm erasing myself from the narrative,
Let future historians wonder how Eliza
Reacted when you broke her heart
You have turn it all apart
I am watching it burn
The most heartbreaking end to a relationship you've ever read.

Oh there are so many that I want to mention. I am going with Sephy and Callum, from the Noughts & Crosses series, as my top answer. That still breaks my heart just thinking about it. And I cry every single time I read that book. I also want to pick Henry and Clare from The Time Traveller's Wife, as I am still not over it and it's been about six years. And then I am picking Chaol and Celaena from the Throne of Glass series, as they are clearly meant to be together. Rowan needs to go take a running jump off the nearest cliff and get splattered on the rocks below. 


6. You'll Be Back
You'll be back like before.
I will fight the fight and win the war,
For your love, for your praise
And I'll love you till my dying days
When you're gone, I'l go mad
So don't throw away this thing we had
Cuz when push comes to shove
I will kill your friends and family
to remind you of my love
Sassiest villain

I don't know who I would want to put as a sassy villain from fiction! I might go with the Darkling. I don't remember if he was sassy or not, I just remember that loads of people loved him and I just wanted to kill him. 

But, for the record, the sassiest villain in the world will always go to:



7. The Reynolds Pamphlet
I love my sister more than anything in this life
I will choose her happiness over mine every time
Put what we had aside, I'm standing at her side
You could never be satisfied, God, I hope you're satisfied
A book with a twist you didn't see coming.

I have to say My Sister's Keeper for this one. That book had a twist I completely didn't see coming. I was so angry when they completely changed the ending for the film. ANNOYING! I have to admit to seeing the twist in Dangerous Girls coming, but I still loved that part of the book and feel it deserves a mention. 

8. Non-Stop
Why do you write like you're running out of time?
Write day and night like you're running out of time?
Ev'ry day you fight, like you're running out of time.
A series you marathoned.
I am quite a fan of marathoning series when I have the chance. It's probably why I have a habit of buying every book in a series before I have even got to the first book. I recently marathoned the whole of the Lux series, which was quite enjoyable. I also usually do a reread of series when sequels come out. I just got a review copy of The Winner's Kiss, so I plan to marathon those next. 

9. Satisfied
I know my sister like I know my own mind
You will never find anyone as trusting or as kind
If I tell her that I love him she'd be silently resigned
He'd be mine, she would say, "I'm fine"
She'd be lying
Favourite book with multiple POVs

Satisfied happens to be one of my favourite songs from the whole album! For this I am going to go to go with a recent read, Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. It has a lot of POVs and I loved them all. It has such a wonderful mix of characters that I couldn't help but love. I can't wait to read the sequel to this one. 

10. Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story
Let me tell you what I wish I'd known
When I was young and dreamed of glory
You have no control:
Who lives
Who dies
Who tells your story?
A book/series you feel will be remembered throughout history.


It has to be Harry Potter! This book has been such a bit part of so many peoples lives. We grew up with it. It's the series we are going to force upon a children. This is the book where names of characters end up being the name of our pets and children. This is the series that will be reread over and over again. I don't really see Harry Potter ever being forgotten about. 


11. Helpless
I'm helpless!
Look into your eyes, and the sky's the limit.
I'm helpless, down the for count
And I'm drowning in 'em
A relationship you were pulling for from the very start.

I want to go with another recent read for this one too. I am going to pick Jack and Beatrix from Night Owls. I was totally rooting for those two to get together right from there very first meeting. 


12. Ten Duel Commandments
It's the Ten Duel Commandments
Number one!
The challenge: demand satisfaction
If they apologise, no need for further action
Favourite fight scene

There are so many different fight and battle scenes from books that I could pick. I want to go with the fight scenes in Red Rising. That book had so many awesome battles. I loved how strategic and well thought out all attacks were in that book. It was so well done in that book. 


13. What Comes Next
You're on your own.
Awesome. Wow.
Do you have a clue what happens now?
A series you wish had more books.

Basically every single book or series that I have ever loved. I could never get enough of all of them. Give me more Harry Potter. Give me more Red Rising. Give me more Hunger Games. Give me more Noughts and Crosses. Give me a Maybe Someday sequel. Give me a Martian sequel - I need more Mark Watney! Give me a sequel to The Sea of Tranquility. And on and on the list would go. 

14. Right Hand Man
We are outgunned, outmanned
Outnumbered, outplanned
We gotta make an all out stand
Ayo, I'm gonna need a right-hand man.
Favourite BrOTP

For this I have to go with Chaol and Dorian from the Throne of Glass series. Those two have the most adorable and squisht BrOTP going on and I love and adore it. I love how loyal Chaol is to Dorian and how he never gives up on him - unlike some people (I am looking at you, Celaena!)

15. What'd I Miss
So what'd I miss? What'd I miss?
Virginia, my home sweet home, I wanna give you a kiss
A book/series you were late to reading.

I LOVE Hoovers books, but I only got to the Hopeless series this year. And that was one of the first books she ever released. I really enjoyed it though, so I am happy that I finally got to this one. 

16. Wait For It
Death doesn't discriminate
Between the sinners and the saints
It takes and it takes and it takes
And we keep living anyway
We rise and we fall and we break
And we make our mistakes
And if there's a reason I'm still alive
When everyone who loves me has died
I'm willing to wait for it
A book that was worth waiting for.

Morning Star was worth every single second that I waited for it. It was such an incredible sequel and the perfect end to the Red Rising trilogy. It shocked and surprised me, made me laugh and made me cry. Pierce Brown is a genius and I bow down to him and his writing powers. He managed to write a series where every book is amazing, where it doesn't suffer from second book syndrome or a disappointing finale. This last book was so satisfying, I absolutely loved it. 



I loved doing the Hamilton tag! Mostly as it was an excuse to listen to the soundtrack whilst answering these questions and sing like a crazy person. I highly recommend the soundtrack to anyone who hasn't heard it yet. I love a good musical and hope this comes to the West End. I will be getting tickets no matter what they cost. 


6 comments:

  1. I love this tag! I don't know Hamilton myself but I do love musicals so I know what I will be watching soon. Oh, and CALLUM AND SEPHY JUST WHY. That ending to the book hurt me bad. Real bad.

    Oh, and Hades is SO sassy. I love him so much <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hades is the best ever. <3 Also, I think my favorite BrOTP, especially after reading A Gathering of Shadows, goes to Rhy & Kell. Those two are golden. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's got to be an absolutely wonderful Broadway show -- Alexander Hamilton. I've heard they're sold out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So allllll I seem to hear about is Hamilton but I've never watched/listened to anything from it. XD Mostly probably because I don't listen to a lot of music and I'm horrible at caring about musicals. HAHA I AM OBVIOUSLY A BLACK SHEEP HERE. But eeep! I do so love your mentions here. Red Rising. <3 Definitely wins for most amazing fights and GAHHH JUST FEELS TOO. Also Finnick...*sobs* And I'm still in recovery from Dangerous Girls. xD I think that totally changed my opinion on thrillers. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, what you're saying is - I REALLY need to get on the Red Rising bandwagon ASAP? NOTED. (Really, though, I've been postponing it for ages.) I mean, now that Morning Star is out...

    ... IT IS TIME.

    I saw the Dangerous Girls twist coming, too, and I was somewhat frustrated with myself for it (WAY TO RUIN A PERFECTLY GOOD TWIST FOR YOURSELF, LEXIE). But as it turns out - that doesn't really have to ruin ANYTHING. Still a good book. Definitely worth a mention.

    Also, given that I not only like musicals, but I was in a musical (Hairspray - it was fab), it's really high time I checked out Hamilton. 'Tis all the rage!

    (Also, AGREED ON EVERYTHING HP-RELATED, AND OH MY GOD, BRING THEM BACK. Sirius was my faaaaavorite! And FRED! And Dobby! And Hedwig! And Dumbledore! And oh my god, everyoneeeee! AND EFFING FINNICK, THAT WAS SO UNNECESSARY, HE WAS MY FAVORITE, TOO!) Petition for authors to stop senselessly murdering their characters altogether!

    LOVED this tag! LOVE your answers, even though I love Aelin. And Rowan. (But honestly, MANON IS SEVERELY UNDERRATED AND I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS) In any other scenario, people would be raving about her. Is it that the books already have so many characters? I mean, Nesryn got more love than Manon and it's just weeeeeeeeird.

    - Lexie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Voldy is a true honey badger.
    Whenever I think of questions for a TAG HP always comes to mind first. It's like I've never read anything else. Ever.
    Chaolaena. Ahhhhhhh Will forever and always be my heart. And now I sad.
    Oh yea, Finnick over Prim any day. How could you kill such a perfect character? How? Same with Dobby. It's Dobby. In what world is killing Dobby even going through your head?!
    Did you just read The Sea of Tranquility? I need to stalk you better. My bae. Are you still a mess of emotions? I need to re-read it. It's been years. But I still think about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, it always makes my day! Because of time restraints, this is now an award free zone but thanks so much for considering me! Feel free to leave a link to your own blog and I will come visit.