Image Map

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Lux #2): Review


Onyx (Lux, #2)

Title: Onyx (Lux#2)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Buy This Book: Amazon / Book Depository

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…
Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.
Something worse than the Arum has come to town…
The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.
But then everything changes…
I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?
No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…

I am loving the Lux series and thought this was a pretty good sequel, but have to admit to not liking it as much as Obsidian. The plot didn't run so smoothly for me and I felt a lot of the sexual tension that made the first book so amazing was absent for most of the second half of this book.

Katy and Daemon are still great characters. They keep me flipping the page till ridiculous-0'clock in the morning just so I can see what happens between them. So it's kind of unfortunate that the sexual tension/amazing passion between them seems to disappear for so long in the second half of this book. But, on the super positive plus side, Daemon is less of a dick in this one. YAY! Gah, I kind of love that boy.

The storyline was something I enjoyed but also had issues with. It seemed to just plod along in places and I got a little bored. The introduction of Blake, a guy who seems to know a lot about what has been happening to Katy since Daemon healed her, was something that worked really well. He helps her train and was great for the story because it was so fun to see Daemon get all jealous. However, I felt there were way too many chapters that had Katy and Daemon arguing over her training with Blake, I got super bored of it super quickly.

This one didn't remind me of Twilight at all, but did have some obvious references - referring to Dee, who is so incredibly Alice, as a pixie at one point, and the whole irrevocably in love thing. Made me think the author was doing it on purpose and it made me smile!

This one had a really action-packed, exciting ending that had me flipping the pages so fast my fingers hurt. I was left kind of devastated as well, because the ending was really sad and really shocked me. If you enjoyed Obsidian than I definitely recommend this. It's a solid sequel, yes I was bored in parts but I love these characters and the story picks up again at the end.

3.99/5

I gave Obsidian 4, but I enjoyed this less and felt I needed to score it lower.... not that much lower though! 

4 comments:

  1. One of my favorite series, glad you're enjoying it. Opal is so good!!! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing that this series is so much fun. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying it. I need to check it out at some point!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, it always makes my day! Because of time restraints, this is now an award free zone but thanks so much for considering me! Feel free to leave a link to your own blog and I will come visit.