Image Map

You're so Vain, you probably think this book is about you!

Title: Vain
Author: Fisher Amelie
Buy this book: Amazon / Book Depository
If you’re looking for a story about a good, humble girl, who’s been hurt by someone she thought she could trust, only to find out she’s not as vulnerable as she thought she was and discovers an empowering side of herself that falls in love with the guy who helps her find that self, blah, blah, blah...then you’re gonna’ hate my story.Because mine is not the story you read every time you bend back the cover of the latest trend novel. It’s not the “I can do anything, now that I’ve found you/I’m misunderstood but one day you’ll find me irresistible because of it” tale. Why? Because, if I was being honest with you, I’m a complete witch. There’s nothing redeeming about me. I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy.I’m Sophie Price...And this is the story about how I went from the world’s most envied girl to the girl no one wanted around and why I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.
beautiful adventure time its so beautiful
When I saw the cover
Vain was a book that I bought last year, knowing absolutely nothing about the book. I had just read The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay and had loved is so much that I just wanted more books like it. In the end, as Katja Millay has no other books, I just went straight on Amazon and bought 15 or so books from The Sea of Tranquility's 'Customers also bought' section. Vain caught my eye, mostly because of its absolutely stunning cover (Okay, it was completely because of the cover. Can you blame me?).It arrived and then just spent months sitting on my shelf, but it finally caught my eye again and I decided to pick it up and give it a try. I am so glad that I did as it turned out to be a new favourite of mine, and has mad
e me want to read more from the author.



Vain is the first book in Fisher Amelie's Seven Deadly series, with each book featuring a character who seems to embody one of the seven deadly series. Vain focuses on a character who is basically the walking definition of Pride. It was quite refreshing, in a way, to have this incredibly attractive character be well aware of that fact - rather than the usual, and highly annoying case where every guy wants this girl, who is clearly stunning, but she can't see it. That gets a little boring. That doesn't mean it makes for easy reading though. Having a character who is constantly going on about their looks and how much better they are to others is hard to read. Sophie isn't at all likeable in the beginning, but that is the point. She's the spoilt, rich girl with neglectful parents who don't care about her, and just leave her to do as she pleases. She uses sex to get the attention and validation she craves, and she doesn't care who gets hurt in the process. She uses drugs and alcohol to numb everything she can't handle. It's quite painful to read in the beginning because she is just so easy to hate, but that is the whole point. Plus, I loved the writing so much that I just had to keep going. And the novel truly begins to become something special after Sophie's arrest for drug possession. Her father works out a plea deal for her to spend six months in Uganda, helping at an orphanage rather than face jail time. I had no clue this was where the story was going to go and I didn't know what to expect.

disney good change lion king simbaThis book turned out to be soooooo much more than I was expecting. It was a truly moving book and opened my eyes to some of the issues in the world that I feel a lot of choose to stay ignorant about. This book also contains such an adorable, slow build romance that just totally won me over. I was sucked completely into this story and jut couldn't get enough. My favourite thing about it is the character development of Sophie over the course of the story. I loved watching her grow and change over time, how what she witnesses in Uganda helps her to become a better person and realise just how utterly superficial her life was. I felt her character growth was completely believable and I just adored watching her grow as a person and begin to care for others, rather than always thinking only of herself.

I finished this book and just felt so happy. I was completely satisfied with the whole thing and loved how it ended. But Fisher also left me absolutely desperate for more of her writing, so I immediately went and ordered the next two books in the series and plan to get to them as soon as possible. This was such a great story and I can't recommend it enough, especially if you're a fan of new adult or romance. Plus, who doesn't want that stunning cover on their shelf?!?

5/5 Butterflies


7 comments:

  1. I found it so interesting when you mentioned that this book series is supposed to cover the seven deadly sins. I think it might be hard with such a character in the beginning but it sounds like a beautiful kind of development book and I really really want to try it now. And the cover is gorgeous too, which always helps. Adding it to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one has been on my TBR for aaaages. I keep meaning to read it but then a ton of other books get in the way. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. This series sounds amazing, I can't believe I've never heard of it before! And YAY, I love character growth in a novel. :') Off to Goodreads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love stories like this one, reads like this one I should say. It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book has been on my tbr since forever (mainly because of the cover) but I never read it! This review really makes me want to read it again so maybe I'll read it soon! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, this sounds interesting! Added to my TBR! I like the concept and the fact that the main character is not the typical YA main character (usually trying to be nice and good all the time). It seems they realize and embrace their "sin"? Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure I even need to know what this about because I like the cover so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, it always makes my day! Because of time restraints, this is now an award free zone but thanks so much for considering me! Feel free to leave a link to your own blog and I will come visit.