Image Map

My Top 20 Non-Disney Animated Movies



Recently, ever since seeing Frozen, I've been listening to a bunch of Disney songs via mixes on Youtube. And I found this amazing 79 song one, that included some of my favourite non-Disney animation movies. It got me thinking about which ones were my favourites, the ones I absolutely loved and the ones I feel aren't appreciated enough. I'm a huge Disney fan, I own almost every classic, but I have so many non-Disney animation movies that I absolutely love. I'm twenty-two, but I still love watching all my favourite kids films! 

I wanted to give them a shout out on my lovely blog! Plus, who doesn't love kids movies? I realised I have quite a lot, so I will do this in two parts and put part two up next week. I'd love to hear about your favourites, and if you love any of the ones I've picked.

Part One



I absolutely loved Anastasia as a kid, and it's one I can still watch and enjoy now. I love the character of Anya, she's sarcastic and funny and my kind of female lead. Plus, her and Dimitri bounce off each other so well. And Bartok is just such a cute and awesome character! If you didn't see this as a kid, you missed out! The songs are brilliant too.






The Magic Sword: Quest for Camelot is definitely an all time favourite. If you are a lover of kids films, you have to see this if you haven't yet. It's got great characters, amazing songs and is absolutely hilarious. I grew up watching this constantly with my best friend and it's an all time favourite film of mine. I adore Kayley and Garrett, and Devon & Cornwell provide a lot of laughs. Brilliant kids film.







Most kids films have there funny moments, but this movie still makes me laugh from beginning to end. Miguel and Tulio are two of the greatest characters from a kids movie, ever! With a soundtrack by Elton John, which is amazing, and a ridiculously large amount of laughs, this really is a perfect kids film that adults will enjoy too! 







I remember getting this movie, I came across it by chance in a Woolworth's when I was probably about eight. I was out shopping with my parents and saw the cover and fell in love with it. Luckily, my parents bought me it and I've loved it ever since. A brilliant movie that is definitely not appreciated enough. I only know one other person who watched it as a kid, my best friend Kevin, and that's only because I showed it to him. I hope some of you out there have seen this amazing film.





I really feel that Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron is a really under appreciated movie. I think it's absolutely stunning. The story is really beautiful, it's very well done and the soundtrack, by Bryan Adams, is amazing. I remember seeing this with my mum at the cinema, we were the only people in there and I couldn't take my eyes away from the screen. If you've never seen it, I definitely recommend it; it's a really beautiful movie. 







Who doesn't love The Swan Princess? This movie is a must! A great story that actually challenged the love at first sight concept you see in most kids films. Derek & Odette have been betrothed since they were children, but have never wanted to marry. When they meet as adults, and Odette has grown into a beautiful woman, Derek finally decides he wants to marry her, to which Odette says: 
Prince Derek: What? You're all I ever wanted. You're beautiful!
Odette: Thank you. But what else?
Prince Derek: What else?
Odette: Is beauty all that matters to you?
Queen Uberta: Derek, what else?
Prince Derek: [stammers; to Odette] What else is there?
Utter fail on his part, I know! 







FernGully is awesome for so many reasons. The main one is Batty, I LOVED Robin Williams and his movies as a kid and he has voiced some amazing characters - Batty & Genie are both so brilliant. Batty is hilarious and the Batty rap is probably one of my favourite parts of this film. It's a very 'Don't destroy the planet' movie, with a message that's really obvious but it's such an incredible film. This tells the story of Crysta, a forest fairy, who accidentally shrinks Zak, a human, and together go on adventure and attempt to save the forest. 























I hadn't seen this in years, but they finally released it on DVD here and I had to buy it. This tells the story of a group of woodland creatures who's home is being invaded by pesky humans. When one of them becomes sick, they must go on adventure together to track down the one plant that can cure her. 





I remember getting this on video as kid after a doctor's appointment. I'd had to get an injection and my mum bought me this as a treat afterwards because I didn't cry or anything, go childhood me! I just fell in love with this film. It seemed so different from every other kids film I'd seen. The animation seems so different, the songs are really amazing and it's just a really brilliant film, not just a brilliant kids film. This is the story of Moses, and even though I am not and have never been even a little bit religious, I love the whole thing. Zipporah is also a really kick-ass female lead, she doesn't take any crap and who doesn't love that in a person.





I am pretty certain that all nineties babies have seen this movie. If you haven't, what is wrong with your parents? All children should see this movie, it's beautiful and it's touching. My childhood has officially ruined the day I found out the little girl who voiced Ducky was murdered as a child! RUINED! Such a brilliant story though, I love Little Foot and Ducky! If we hold on together, I know our dreams will never die. 





So there you have it, that's PART ONE. I'll post Part 2 next Monday, and that will have the other ten.
So are any of these favourites of yours, or what were your favourite non-Disney animation movies?

This Weeks Reviews:

The Program by Suzanne Young: Review 5/5
The Treatment by Suzanne Young: Review 3/5
Splintered by A. G. Howard: Review 3/5
Impostor by Susanne Winnacker: Review 4/5
Witch Finder by Ruth Warburton: Review 2.5/5

46 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this post just made me smile so much! I completely agree with all of your choices... ESPECIALLY Anastasia, Swan Princess, The Road to El Dorado and The Land Before Time!! But I had no idea about the little girl who voiced Ducky!! I got a lot of weird looks when I cried out "WHAT!?" in the cafeteria when I read that! But other than that, thanks for making me smile with the GIFs and memories of some amazing childhood movies! Can't wait for part 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I am not the only one who loved so many kids films! Listening to the songs has made me want to go rewatch them all. I know, the Ducky news totally devastated me when I found out, proof that IMDB can be a bad thing at times.

      Delete
  2. Awwww! I LOVE Anastasia! The songs were great and I fell in LOVE with Dimitri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I wish that guy was real because I would marry him!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this post! I'm also a huge fan of animation moves and you're right some non-Disney ones don't get enough appreciation!
    Anastasia, Quest for Camelot, El Dorado, The Swan Princess, FernGully, The Prince of Egypt and
    The Land Before Time were all part of my childhood and I love watching them even now. Actually when I spend a week at my mom's house for Christmas I watched El Dorado with my 9 year old brother every evening. True story.

    Also another one of my favorites was Joseph King of Dreams from Dreamworks. Just like The Prince of Egypt it's one of my favorites and the songs are amazing!

    Also can't wait to see part 2! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't think I will ever get sick of my childhood favourites, because they are just so much fun. The Prince of Egypt was such a stunning movie, I saw a trailer for King of Dreams and didn't think it looked as good visually. May have to check it out though because I LOVE The Prince of Egypt.

      Delete
  4. This post is epic! So many excellent choice. I had mant freakouts when I saw Fern and Gully. And of course the Swan Princess! The songs from that movie gets stuck on my head and I walk around singing ... "we are a band. Not a band of animals.........practice practice." And I think everyone on the area looks at me like I'm crazy. And the land before time is always a winner. But the prince of Egypt wins it all in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha now I have that song stuck in my head! 'This masquerade is more than I can bear'. The Prince of Egypt is such a brilliant film, it's visually stunning as well.

      Delete
  5. Ooh wow! I remember lots of these!! I totally <3 The Swan Princess! I know back then I was like, why is Derek saying that!

    Fern Gully was a classic and yay Anastasia! A few of these I never saw, but I at least know of them from my time as a kid! Great movie picks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, stupid Derek. I could watch all of these today and still love them all. Anastasia is AMAZING! :)

      Delete
  6. Damn, El Dorado and Spirit aren't Disney? o.O I had no idea! But I totally agree with Anastasia being number one! I loooove it! I had it on an old VHS (recorded when it was on TV) and I had such trouble finding it on DVD. Bought it last week when I was in Belgium, of all places. And that soundtrack is perfection.
    Anyway, I love El Dorado and I know Once Upon a Forest! I saw it on German TV as a series when I was a kid and haven't thought about it in ages. I was always a bit creeped out by Fern Gully though.
    Awesome idea for a post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, as soon as I saw it was on DVD I had to buy it. I was always creeped out by Hexus in Fern Gully, he really scared me as a kid and he is basically just oil :)

      Delete
  7. The Land Before Time! *head desk* Such an emotional movie, and you wouldn't think it. Same with Spirit, which broke my heart a couple times. It was one of my childhood movies, along with El Dorado. I have to say that Disney isn't responsible for ALL of the best movies of my childhood. ;) Only the ones with happy endings, although most of these movies ended pretty happy. I just feel that non-Disney movies carry more emotional impact. Who knows!

    Sydney @ Utterly Bookish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Land Before Time and Spirit are such emotional but beautiful films. I definitely agree that non-Disney pack more emotional punch, but I LOVE Disney too :)

      Delete
  8. Awesome post and giveaway girl! I am rewatching lots of those movies with my kids now days!!
    The book I want most at the moment is Wild Things by Chloe Neill!

    Thanx for visiting My Weekly Wrap-Up!
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for a little niece or nephew, they are going to be forced to watch ALL of these a million times over! :) Good luck for the giveaway!

      Delete
  9. Great picks! One of my favorite non-Disney cartoon movies is The Secret of NIMH! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen it, but I feel like I should now go hunt it down! :)

      Delete
  10. I remember seeing Anastasia but I now have no idea what it's about. Time to remedy that I think. I think I still have The Swan Princess on video tape haha. The Land Before Time is a classic. Great movies on this list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Anastasia is amazing, you should definitely go rewatch that one ;)

      Delete
  11. This post brought back so many memories! I haven't seen The Prince of Egypt in years so I think it's time I rewatched that. I love Anastasia too, and The Road to El Dorado is one of my favourite animated films. It's just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Road to El Dorado, it's so hilarious and such a fun film. Anastasia is probably my favourite, I just love that film so much :)

      Delete
  12. I don't do these, but Quest for Camelot! I loved, loved, loved that film when I was a kid, the "If I didn't have you" and the Elvis bit, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, wow, I thought a couple of these were Disney that are not. I LOVE The Land Before Time - that is probably one of my all time favorites. Watched it a bazillion times with my children when they were wee little ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually haven't seen any of these except The Land Before Time--which I did love. I've seen parts of Fern Gully, but never sat down for the whole thing. I think most of these might have come out after my animated movie stage and since I don't have kids, I very rarely watch animated films. I'll have to check out a couple of these. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up watching loads of animated movies, I loved them all! That's probably why I know so many of them.

      Delete
  15. Oh My Gosh! This was like a mini trip down memory lane! I forgot how much I loved "Cats Don't Dance" "Fern Gully" is my all time favorite kids movie! This is was a great idea! Good Job!

    Can't wait to see next weeks :) http://disappearintoreading.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Cats Don't Dance was such a brilliant and fun film! FernGully is also amazing, especially Batty!

      Delete
  16. OH MY GOSH! You have brought back all the memories and the feels! I'm happy to say I recognised all but a few of these! El Dorado is still possibly the most quoted Disney movie in my house. ;) And Fern Gully was my childhood obsession. These are epic an awesome! Plus Anastasia rocks. "Demetri do you really think I'm royalty?" "You know I do." "Then STOP bossing me around." XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I love them all and I could happily rewatch them all now. El Dorado has so many great and quotable lines! I love: 'What's happening here?' 'We're both in barrels. That's the extent of my knowledge' or 'You don't think Cortes could have got here before us and...' 'And what? Taken all the really big rocks? The scoundrel!'. Or the simple 'Miguel and Tulio' 'Tulio and Miguel' 'Mighty & powerful Gods!'

      I don't think I will ever get sick of Anastasia, I wish Demetri was a real person because I would marry that man!.

      Delete
  17. This is an awesome post! I love a lot of these movies too! I don't think I'll ever be too old to enjoy a good animated movie. Can't wait to see the next part!
    Cait @ Book Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I have yet to grow out of kids films and I hope I never do. I finally managed to get Part 2 up as well :)

      Delete
  18. Awesome movie, I love too, they are my childhood, my favorite is Anastasia, I still have this movie and watching in the vhs.
    haha when i was a kid i want be like Kayley and have many adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goshhhh you hit me right in the childhood with this post!!! Anastasia, Quest for Camelot, Swan Princess, Once upon a Forest, Ferngully and Land Before Time were some of my favorite non-Disney films tooo<3 I need all of these on DVD STAT! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely worth getting! Once I tracked them all down and rewatched them; I still enjoyed them as much as I did when I was a kid. :)

      Delete
  20. I love love Land Before Time sooo much. My high school cat's name was Petre (he passed last year 17 years old!). I really love most of these movies too. I remember the song from Prince of Egypt from Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston. That was the bomb back in the day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Petre is such an awesome name for a pet! I loved that character so much. Sorry to hear about your cat, I lost one of my cats last year age 11. Haha I remember that song too, When You Believe!

      Delete
  21. Oh my goodness. I just got rid of my Anastasia soundtrack cd. LoL Good times. No Disney movie will ever top Land Before Time.
    Kristin @ Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE The Land Before Time! Such a beautiful film... the mum dying gets me crying every time though.

      Delete
  22. Great collections of animated  cartoon movies list !! Cats don’t dance is my favorite movie and I know everybody like cartoon movies, they remembered our childhood days and enjoyed a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Many thanks for this post. It has vastly helped with my research for a dance/choreography showcase I am working on.

    Louise x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, it always makes my day! Because of time restraints, this is now an award free zone but thanks so much for considering me! Feel free to leave a link to your own blog and I will come visit.