Image Map

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (The Hunger Games #2): Review

Catching Fire
by
Suzanne Collins

Title: Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2)
Publisher: Scholastic
Buy This Book: Book Depository/Amazon

When Katniss pulled out those berries during the Hunger Games, she made history. For the first time ever there are two victors and her and Peeta both get to go home. Katniss just wants to forget what has happened and go back to life with her family, but it's not going to be as simple as that. Her stunt with the berries has been seen as an act of defiance and rebellion towards the Captiol and is causing unrest in the districts. Peeta and Katniss are about to embark on the Victory Tour, that will take them to every other District, and Katniss must show the people that the only reason she did what she did was because of how madly in love with Peeta she is. If she fails to calm them then she will have President Snow to answer to, and the consequences will be devastating, not just to Katniss, but to everyone she knows. 


I actually really enjoyed rereading this book before the movie. It is such a great sequel and is full of tension and action from the beginning. After reading The Hunger Games, I was certain that the second book could not live up to it, but it exceeded my expectations. 

After the horror of the Games I was really intrigued to see what would become of Katniss after that, it's quite obviously not something she can just get over. I was interested to see how it would affect her as a person and the people around her. What would become of her relationship with Peeta? How would her relationship with Gale develop now she was back home?

One of my favourite scenes in the book occurs near the beginning, which is when President Snow visits Katniss. He is such a great character as far as the villain goes; so easy to hate but so cutting and clever at times that you have to applaud him. He warns Katniss that if she is not able to calm down the other Districts and stamp out any thoughts of rebellion that her stunt with the berries has ignited; then she and the people she loves will suffer. He explains it so well:
"Katniss Everdeen, the girl who was on fire, you have provided a spark that, left unattended, may grow to an inferno that destroys Panem."

The Victory Tour was really great as well, and I loved the visit to District 11; it had me choked up just thinking about poor Rue. It also provides us with many great Haymitch moments, as well as Effie ones. They are both hilarious characters for these books and both provide great comic relief during the tougher, more serious parts of the book.

The Peeta, Gale & Katniss love triangle is played out so perfectly in this book. I found myself changing my mind as much as Katniss did. In the first book we see minimal Gale because she spends most of her time in the Games, so it's nice to get to know him a bit better in this book. Gale and Peeta both show their devotion and love for Katniss so much during this book, you kind of feel bad for them both because she doesn't seem to truly feel that way about either most of the time. 

Gale gets a lot more time in this book, and so does the feelings that Katniss has for him. She switches between the two so much that it kind of makes your head spin a bit with trying to keep up. At one point I am almost certain that poor Peeta is going to have to forget any thoughts he has of himself and Katniss being together.

"Gale is mine. I am his. Anything else is unthinkable."

She changes her mind so often, or spends her time so indifferent to either of them that I found myself feeling so sorry for both of them. Katniss, well let's be honest, she didn't seem to deserve either of them. Haymitch said it much better than I could ever say it myself:

"You could live a hundred lifetimes and not deserve him, you know."

Now the Quarter Quell, which happens every 25 years of the games, is something that we hear about during the beginning of the book, but it doesn't really become important until about halfway. Honestly, this is a 472 page book and the Quater Quell doesn't become an important event until about 200 pages in. I was actually surprised by this turn of events in the book, because of events that happened earlier on I was sure this wasn't where the book was going. Katniss meets two escapees from District 8, who plant the idea that District 13 may still be out there somewhere.The first time I read the book I was certain that this book would take us out of District 12 and follow Katniss as she hunted for District 13, not back into the Games. But I am really glad it did, because it all just worked so well in this book.

Something I really did love about this book, it finally answered a question I had been asking since book one. How did Haymitch win his Games? I didn't see how it had not come up before, or how Peeta or Katniss weren't desperate to find out from someone, anyone. I was really glad that we got an answer to that question in this book.

Sequels can be very hit and miss, especially when it's the sequel to a book as amazing as The Hunger Games. This book had a lot to live up to and it delivered for me, and still does every time I reread it. I am so happy that the movie adaptation did the book justice as well. As far as book sequels go, this really is one of my favourites. 

5/5 Stars


9 comments:

  1. Great review. I wish I had time to reread Catching Fire before I see the movie, but I don't think I will have time. I think I like Catching Fire more than The Hungry Games. The Game Arena is really neat, and I like all the politics that occur in this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad I had the time to read it, made me appreciate just how much they put in the movie and kept the same. Was such a great adaptation, I really loved the sequel as well, the Games were amazing with more characters involved and I loved the politics as well. Hope you enjoy the movie!

      Delete
  2. I agree, this book was an excellent sequel. Actually, the whole trilogy is great, from beginning to end. Good stuff. And I'm soooooo glad that the movies are doing them justice so far.

    Also, I wanted to let you know that I nominated your blog for the One Lovely Blog award! I love your reviews and wanted to say thank you for commenting on my blog. Details can be found here: http://lifewithnoplot.wordpress.com/2013/11/24/nominated-me/ :)

    Denise @ Life With No Plot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, there's nothing worse than having one of your favourite series ruined in movie form - Northern Lights/Golden Compass being the perfect example! - but with these, they've really done them justice! Such an amazing trilogy, definitely one of my favourites.

      Thanks for nominating me, I have a lot of time constraints at the min but I will definitely try to take part!

      Delete
  3. I really want to reread Catching Fire before I see the movie, but I probably won't get around to it. I agree, great sequel! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad I had the time, was good to see just how much they kept in and included in the movie! The movie adaptation was really great, hope you love it!

      Delete
  4. I absolutely ADORE this series. The second movie was so epic too. :) I wish I had time to reread them, though. It would have been awesome to do a bit of a book marathon before I hit the cinemas. Right now, I'm trying to reread the Divergent series before I get to Allegiant. >_< Not enough time!

    PS. New follower! :)
    notebooksisters.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for following! Have followed you back.

      I know, I really struggled to finish this before the movie as I left it a little late, made me see just how much they left in though so I was glad I made the time. Have fun with the Divergent series, I hated Allegiant if I'm honest, but hope you love it =D

      Delete
  5. I honestly hated the last two books but seeing how other people see it helps me see it in a different light. thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, it always makes my day! Because of time restraints, this is now an award free zone but thanks so much for considering me! Feel free to leave a link to your own blog and I will come visit.