Image Map

Crash Into You by Katie McGarry: Review

Crash Into You
by 
Katie McGarry

Author: Katie McGarry
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Buy This Book: Amazon/Book Depository

I can't even write my own little description for this because I didn't finish it; I only got about 30% of the way into it and then I gave up. If you've read any of my other reviews then you'll know that I don't hold back, if I don't like something then I say it. But I do explain why and I have quite a few reasons for this.

My main reason is that this book is pretty much the same as her first two books, which I guess if you were a massive fan of them, then you will love that. I just didn't. Her books are very formulaic and it kind of drives me a little crazy:

  1. Take one character who has either no parents or absent parents and a damaged past.
  2. Take one person from a privileged background, with a seemingly perfect life but who's damaged as well.
  3. Mix them together
  4. Add angst
  5. Add some rather cringe-worthy dialogue - example: 'She discovered a deep hole in my chest and somehow filled it with her existence.'
  6. Plus lots of falling hard and fast for each other.


And there you have it. A Katie McGarry book. 

But that's not the only things that make these books almost identical. There's the fact that one of the main characters is always a virgin, and it's always the one who comes from the good family unit. Plus the fact each of the MC from the good family unit has a hobby that their family disapproves of for some trivial reason: Echo's art, Ryan's writing, Rachel's love of cars. It just became all too much for me and I had to give up on this book. I used to finish every book I started, but now I realise that it's just a huge waste of my time. I can already see where this book is going, I've read it before, twice in fact.

I don't understand why they make the character who has the seemingly perfect, Christian family upbringing a virgin every time and the person without it sleeps around. I'm not a foster kid or anything, but I found it kind of insulting and offensive.

I also got sick of the poor, troubled person meets and falls in love with a rich person who seemingly has it all, but has their own troubles as well. And this pushed me to my limit with the fact that they met and spent three hours, three hours together and now can't stop thinking about each other, need each other, want to be with each other. They don't even know each other! 

I also hated all the car talk. I know essentially nothing about cars, so all the talk of makes and models and engine types, well it just drove me crazy. It bored me and I skimmed all those parts. They act like their cars are babies and every time Rachel growled at someone for even touching her car; well, I wanted to punch her in her stupid, whiny, immature face.

Plus the UK cover is hideous:


You couldn't pay me to put that on my bookshelf.


NO, JUST NO!

1/5

This is essentially Pushing the Limits & Dare You To, it bored me and I am not going to waste good hours of my life on finishing it.


*I received a copy of this novel from the author/publisher/publicist via Netgalley in exchange for a free and honest review and received no monetary compensation for this review.


7 comments:

  1. For better or worse, romance series tend to follow the exact same pattern. They are great when you follow the formula and not so great if you don't. I am sorry to hear that the book was disappointing for you. I have been hearing some mixed reviews of this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found that with romance and I think that's why they are hit and miss with me. I have read some that I have loved, and even they have the usual formula but just seem to offer me something a little different, that I haven't seen before - Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma being one. I have seen so many great reviews for it, but it's just not for me; too much like the other two. Thanks for checking out my review.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for being honest with this review. On the contrary, I love love this book even if it's really cliche. And I agree with all your points but I chose to overlook those glaring facts because I am so invested with the characters of Pushing the Limits. And I just want to have an assurance that they're gonna be okay. Hahahaha.

    And you're review really made me laugh especially the part where you said "You couldn't pay me to put that on my bookshelf." I take it that you will be discontinuing with this series then...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to be honest, although I wrote this straight after angrily DNFing it. In retrospect I probably should have waited a day so I could write a better/less bitchy review. It wasn't even badly done or anything, I just felt like I had read it before and it annoyed me at the time. I was getting into a reading slump and this did not help lol.

      If she releases one that sounds really great to me I will definitely still pick it up. I quite enjoyed her first book and didn't mind the sequel too much either. This clearly wasn't the right book for me at the time lol.

      Delete
  3. And *your* review really made me laugh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a car junkie so this one was right up my alley ;) To each their own I guess and yeah that cover wouldn't be on my shelf either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the UK cover is really bad. But I did write the review straight after I DNF and I was angry. I probably should have waited a while and wrote a better review for it. It wasn't badly done or anything but it just felt too similar to the last two books. If she releases something in the future that I like the sound of, I will definitely still pick it up.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, it always makes my day! Because of time restraints, this is now an award free zone but thanks so much for considering me! Feel free to leave a link to your own blog and I will come visit.