Image Map

Legend by Marie Lu: Review


Legend (Legend, #1)


Title: Legend
Author: Marie Lu
Publisher:Penguin Razorbill
Buy This Book: Amazon/Book Depository

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem. 
From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets. 
Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.(Goodreads summary)


With the third and final book, Champion, released, I thought it was about time I give this series another reread and write up reviews for them. I really love this series and I am so sad for it to end that I am putting off even starting Champion, plus Allegiant has put me off ever reading the last book in a series again!

I read Legend for the first time at the start of 2012, as I hunted for more and more dystopian fiction to devour. Luckily, I work in a library and with people who love books as much as me and a guy I work with told me that if I loved dystopian then I just had to read this. He was right. If you are a lover of dystopian fiction like me then I would really recommend it.

Legend is fast-paced action from beginning to end, it throws you straight into the action almost from the very beginning. It pulls you straight into the story and doesn't really let you go until the end. It makes this such a quick read and very enjoyable.

This book gives us a dual narrative, in one chapter we get June and in the next we have Day. I think they worked well and weren't too similar as far as I was concerned. June is a strong female character but I have to admit to wanting to hit her sometimes, for someone so smart she could be ridiculously stupid. Day is a really great male lead, he's strong, clever and dedicated to his family.

I really enjoyed the story, a lot happens in this book even though it feels quite short. It may seem a little predictable at times but this is a really well told story, it's a great addition to the dystopian genre and it immediately became a new favourite series of mine as soon as I read it.

The fast-paced action grabs you but it did make it seem lacking in other ways. As it was so fast-paced I didn't feel like I got as much character development of June and Day as I would of liked; I wish their had been more of that. Their romance seemed to develop really, really quickly as well.. Plus it lacked a little on world building, it doesn't explain why things are the way they are or give a clearer picture on what's going on outside of L.A.

I'm also confused as to why the back of my book says "Based on a retelling of Les Miserables." Now this really threw me off when I picked the book up and read it, because I didn't see it at all. Is it a retelling of Les Mis, or a retelling of a retelling of Les Mis. To me, it seemed like neither and that just confused me a little when I read the book for the first time.

4/5 Stars

For fans of dystopian, fast-paced action., strong leads and a romance that takes a back seat to the real action in the book. Definitely recommend. 

10 comments:

  1. I've never heard anyone say they didn't like this book! I really need to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really enjoyable series, so would definitely recommend!

      Delete
  2. I just got a copy of this book for cheap from Amazon, and I am looking forward to reading it! I am glad to hear that you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series and Champion was fantastic, by the way. I loved the dual POVs in every book, I think Marie Lu did such a great job with that. And I read somewhere that the inspiration for June was Sherlock Holmes (all logical) and that Day was meant to be the emotional one. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt that, in my notes I even wrote "June - the female Sherlock Holmes." but forgot to include it. I'm glad to here Champion is good then, I am less scared to go read it now! Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Yours is the first review I've read of this book though I've seen Champion a lot around Booktube. I've added this series to my wishlist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great addition and the sequel is even better than the first! I'm hoping that the third is amazing as well. I hope you enjoy them when you finally get to read them =D

      Delete
  5. Woah? Retelling of Les Mis?!! That's the first time I've heard that...and I definitely didn't get that at all either! I've read Legend, but not the rest yet. I want to though! I admit that Legend didn't really tick all the right boxes for me, but Day is pretty awesome. I want to finish it and see how it all fits together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legend didn't tick them all either, I had a few issues and that's why it only got a 4. But I have to admit that Prodigy is a lot better and I enjoy that one a lot more than Legend. Les Mis connection confused me, I don't see it at all. Hopefully you enjoy Prodigy and Champion more - I've heard Champion is a great end to the series.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, it always makes my day! Because of time restraints, this is now an award free zone but thanks so much for considering me! Feel free to leave a link to your own blog and I will come visit.