Image Map

My Weekly Book Haul: 13/12/2014

STSmall

Friday Finds is something that was started over on ShouldBeReading and Stacking the Shelves over at TyngaReviews, I am in love with all of these as I love finding other blogs to follow and books to read through these! So check them all out and see what you find, Stacking the Shelves has a lot of participants as well which is great. This is basically a way for me to show what books I have received, borrowed or bought each week. All book covers and their summary come from back of book or Goodreads.



I'M FREE!
I am finally free of work, except for one shift next Thursday, for three whole weeks and I am so excited! The last week at work had been so absolutely rubbish as well, so I am so unbelievably excited that I don't need to go near the place for a whole three weeks. It's making me even more excited for Christmas to hurry up and get here!
We have fun at work!
         I'm also getting even more excited for the 27th December, which is the day that my family and I are all going on the Harry Potter Studio Tour! It's my second time going, but this time it will be all done up for Christmas. I got myself a robe to dress in for it, but got in the spirit by dressing up for work one day along with one of the guys I work with - possibly the only good thing to happen at work all month!
         I've also decided to reread all the books and rewatch all the movies before the tour. I started last week and have so far got through the first four books and films. Currently reading The Order of the Phoenix, which is a beast of a book, so may take me a little while to get through!




LobstersLobsters by Tom Ellen & Lucy Ivison
Sam and Hannah only have the holidays to find 'The One'. Their lobster. But instead of being epic, their summer is looking awkward. They must navigate social misunderstandings, the plotting of well-meaning friends, and their own fears of being virgins for ever to find happiness. But fate is at work to bring them together. And in the end, it all boils down to love.
I just think this one looks so adorable, so I couldn't say no when I saw it for £1. 



Since You've Been GoneSince You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson
It was Sloane who yanked Emily out of her shell and made life 100% interesting. But right before what should have been the most epic summer, Sloane just...disappears. All she leaves behind is a to-do list.
On it, thirteen Sloane-inspired tasks that Emily would normally never try. But what if they could bring her best friend back?
Apple picking at night?
Okay, easy enough.
Dance until dawn?
Sure. Why not?
Kiss a stranger?
Um...
Emily now has this unexpected summer, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected), to check things off Sloane's list. Who knows what she'll find?
Go skinny-dipping?
Wait...what?


Becoming Alpha: 1 (Alpha Girl)Becoming Alpha by Aileen Erin
Tessa McCaide has a unique talent for getting into trouble. Then again, it isn’t easy for a girl with visions to ignore what she sees. Luckily Tessa and her family are leaving California and moving halfway across the country, giving her the perfect opportunity to leave her reputation as “Freaky Tessa” behind. But Tessa doesn’t realize that kissing the wrong guy in her new Texas town could land her in far more trouble than she ever imagined. Like being forced to attend St. Ailbe’s Academy, a secret boarding school for werewolves. Even if the wrong guy did accidentally turn her into one of “them” and doom her to attending the weirdest high school ever, Tessa can’t help her growing attraction to the mysterious Dastien Laurent.When vampires attack St. Alibe’s and her visions pinpoint an enemy in their midst, Tessa realizes that boy drama and her newfound canine tendencies might just be the least of her problems.
I won this signed beauty from Amanda over on Book Badger. She loved it, so I am pretty excited to try this one myself.

AngelboundAngelbound by Christina Bauer
Eighteen year old Myla Lewis is a girl who loves two things: kicking ass and kicking ass. She’s not your every day quasi-demon, half-demon and half-human, girl. For the past five years, Myla has lived for the days she gets to fight in Purgatory’s arena. When souls want a trial by combat for their right to enter heaven or hell, they go up against her, and she hasn’t lost a battle yet.But as she starts her senior year at Purgatory High, the arena fights aren’t enough to keep her spirits up anymore. When the demons start to act weird, even for demons, and the King of the Demons, Armageddon, shows up at Myla’s school, she knows that things are changing and it’s not looking good for the quasi-demons. Myla starts to question everything, and doesn’t like the answers she finds. What happened seventeen years ago that turned the quasi-demons into slave labor? Why was her mom always so sad? And why won’t anyone tell her who her father is? Things heat up when Myla meets Lincoln, the High Prince of the Thrax, a super sexy half-human and half-angel demon hunter. But what’s a quasi-demon girl to do when she falls for a demon hunter? It’s a good thing that Myla’s not afraid of breaking a few rules. With a love worth fighting for, Myla’s going to shake up Purgatory.


Ambitious New York City teenager Craig Gilner is determined to succeed at life - which means getting into the right high school to get into the right job. But once Craig aces his way into Manhattan's Executive Pre-Professional High School, the pressure becomes unbearable. He stops eating and sleeping until, one night, he nearly kills himself.Craig's suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transsexual sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio. There, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety.Ned Vizzini, who himself spent time in a psychiatric hospital, has created a remarkably moving tale about the sometimes unexpected road to happiness.
This is one of the few books where I watched the film before reading the book. But that was a long time ago now and I didn't realise at the time that it was based on a book. 

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me ...This beautiful collection features twelve gorgeously romantic stories set during the festive period, by some of the most talented and exciting YA authors writing today. The stories are filled with the magic of first love and the magic of the holidays.
One of the prettiest books I have ever seen!

The Dream Thieves (Raven Cycle, #2) Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
The Dream Thieves and Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater

I'm planning to binge read the first three books soon because I need to know what all the fuss is about. I already own book one, so thought I'd grab the next two when I saw them at work the other day.




The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy, #2)The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski
Lady Kestrel's engagement to Valoria's crown prince calls for great celebration: balls and performances, fireworks and revelry. But to Kestrel it means a cage of her own making. Embedded in the imperial court as a spy, she lives and breathes deceit and cannot confide in the one person she really longs to trust ...While Arin fights to keep his country's freedom from the hands of his enemy, he suspects that Kestrel knows more than she shows. As Kestrel comes closer to uncovering a shocking secret, it might not be a dagger in the dark that cuts him open, but the truth.Lies will come undone, and Kestrel and Arin learn just how much their crimes will cost them in this second book in the breathtaking Winner'strilogy.
I could literally cry right now, I am so excited to have this one in my possession! Thank you, Bloomsbury, you know I love you guys!

Invaded (Alienated, #2)Invaded by Melissa Landers
The romantic sequel to Alienated takes long-distance relationships to a new level as Cara and Aelyx long for each other from opposite ends of the universe...until a threat to both their worlds reunites them. Cara always knew life on planet L’eihr would be an adjustment. With Aelyx, her L’eihr boyfriend, back on Earth, working to mend the broken alliance between their two planets, Cara is left to fend for herself at a new school, surrounded by hostile alien clones. Even the weird dorm pet hates her.Things look up when Cara is appointed as human representative to a panel preparing for a human colony on L’eihr. A society melding their two cultures is a place where Cara and Aelyx could one day make a life together. But with L’eihr leaders balking at granting even the most basic freedoms, Cara begins to wonder if she could ever be happy on this planet, even with Aelyx by her side.Meanwhile, on Earth, Aelyx, finds himself thrown into a full-scale PR campaign to improve human-L’eihr relations. Humans don’t know that their very survival depends on this alliance: only Aelyx’s people have the technology to fix the deadly contamination in the global water supply that human governments are hiding. Yet despite their upper hand, the leaders of his world suddenly seem desperate to get humans on their side, and hardly bat an eye at extremists’ multiple attempts on Aelyx’s life.The Way clearly needs humans’ help . . . but with what? And what will they ask for in return?
YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!!!! Alienated was one of my favourite books of 2013, the romance is one of my favourites of all time.... And just OMG! THANK YOU Disney Hyperion!


The Door That Led to WhereThe Door That Led To Where by Sally Gardner
AJ Flynn has just failed all but one of his GCSEs, and his future is looking far from rosy. So when he is offered a junior position at a London law firm he hopes his life is about to change - but he could never have imagined by how much.Tidying up the archive one day, AJ finds an old key, mysteriously labelled with his name and date of birth - and he becomes determined to find the door that fits the key. And so begins an amazing journey to a very real and tangible past - 1830, to be precise - where the streets of modern Clerkenwell are replaced with cobbles and carts, and the law can be twisted to suit a villain's means. Although life in 1830 is cheap, AJ and his friends quickly find that their own lives have much more value. They've gone from sad youth statistics to young men with purpose - and at the heart of everything lies a crime that only they can solve. But with enemies all around, can they unravel the mysteries of the past, before it unravels them?
Thank you so much Hot Key Books, so excited to read this one!

The Life I Left BehindThe Life I Left Behind by Colette McBeth
I'm the only one who knows the secrets her friends have hidden, the mistakes the police have made.I'm the only one who can warn her she's still in danger.I know exactly who attacked her.He's the same man who killed me.
I am beyond thrilled with this one! Thank you to Headline! Not only did it come with a cute birdcage bookmark, but it sounds similar to The Lovely Bones, which I love so much.

Now That I've Found YouNow That I've Found You by Ciara Geraghty
Honest and wise, poignant and warm, this is completely absorbing storytelling for fans of Jojo Moyes and Marian Keyes.Vinnie is an ordinary man. Ellen is an ordinary woman.Ellen is unable to move on after a terrible accident that left her mentally and physically scarred.Taxi driver Vinnie is struggling to cope with bringing up two children on his own.Everyone deserves to find that one person who's meant for them, don't they?Fall in love with the story of Vinnie and Ellen. Because ordinary lives can be extraordinary. 
Love how cute this one looks! I need a cute, fluffy read in my life right now. Thanks to Hodder & Stoughton for this one!



Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot
'Bout This Blogger Tag
Top Ten Tuesday: New-To-Me Authors of 2014
This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Love and Other Unknown Variables by Shannon Lee Alexander


44 comments:

  1. Nice haul this week. I'm excited to read Invaded. I hope you have fun on your HP holiday adventure!
    Kristin @ Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been hearing good things about Since You've Been Gone. I hope you love all your new books this week.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to have such a nice break and I am so excited for you to take the H.P. tour!! I hope you post lots of pics!
    Congrats on all the books, I can't wait to see what you think of Winner's Crime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm free too!! My winter break from college just started. :)

    Since You've Been Gone is such a great contemporary. That's so awesome that you got The Winner's Crime. I really want to read that! Enjoy your new books and have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only one story to read from My True Love Gave to Me and I'm done with it - I have enjoyed it SO MUCH and the stories have been so cute and entertaining and different from each other.
    Also, can't wait to read what you think about Invaded.

    Have a good weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious about My True Love Gave To Me, will get to it as soon as I can.

      Delete
  6. I have Angelbound on my Kindle...I thought it sounded a bit different so I hope it turns out to be good. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. BINGE RAVEN CYCLE, BINGE RAVEN CYCLE. OMG CHARNELL, HOW DID I GO ABOUT UNAWARE THAT YOU HADN'T READ THE RAVEN CYCLE YET :O???? I'm so glad that that's going to be a no longer. I HOPE YOU LOVE IT, if not, I'd still love you <3

    AND THE WINNER'S CRIME :O!!!! I adored that one! And that's coming from a person that was rather meh about the first book. Hopefully it BLOWS YOU AWAY as well! <3 I'm totally keeping an eye out for your review :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! OKAY, OKAY! I really do need to hurry up and read Raven Cycle, I've been hearing so many good things. I'm nervous though, don't want the hype to disappoint.

      YAY!!! Very excited to get to The Winner's Crime, I really hope I love it.

      Delete
  8. OOoh very nice! Yay for the wins! Haven't read any of these but I do hope you enjoy each and every one of them!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh you got a lot of cool books. I wouldn't know where to start. http://booklovingnut.blogspot.com/2014/12/stacking-shelves-23.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lobsters is a great book! I hope that you enjoy it! :-) My haul

    ReplyDelete
  11. My True Love, yes yes yes! Also, I plan on reading Raven Boys beginning of next year, read it with me?! :D Well, I need to borrow Dream Thieves and Blue Lily, Lily Blue, but yes, can we can we can we? REALLY hope you like Becoming Alpha and Angelbound, SO good. So many wonderful books, you should be really pleased! Now chill before Christmas ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should! Although I always suck at sticking to a schedule with reading.

      Delete
  12. I'm soooooooo jealous over Invaded! I would pretty much give my right arm for a copy of it. (Ok, maybe not quite... but close.) I hope you enjoy it and all the others!

    My StS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so looking forward to it, will be getting to it as soon as I can!

      Delete
  13. I've heard amazing things about Since You've Been Gone. I just got it as a Christmas present from a friend! I hope we both enjoy it :) I really want to read the Raven Boys series, I can't wait to see what you think of the subsequent books. My True Love Gave To Me looks absolutely adorable <3 Nice haul, Charnell!!

    P.S. The Winner's Crime is so heartbreaking ;(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to take the Harry Potter tour. Tell us what it's like when you return. Looks like you've got some super reading to do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed Invaded. I need to start The Raven Boys series. I also have Since You've Been Gone and really need to get to that one too! Enjoy! Happy Holidays & Happy Reading!

    My Stack

    ReplyDelete
  16. AHHH LILY BLUE! Which I'm reading right now! Well. I've read the prologue. -_- Not because it isn't awesome but I literally have not got to sit down and read, wah! I didn't even get to post yesterday, like, what madness is this, Cait?! December is the craziest.
    THE WINNER'S CRIME IS SO PRETTY. But I'm soo confused that her dress is red in some countries and blue in others. o.O Why the heck did they change the dress colour?!!
    And I loooove Since You've Been Gone! IT IS VERY INTROVERTED AND AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DECEMBER REALLY IS! IT SUCKS! I don't know, but I definitely prefer the UK cover. The blue one is a little uglier for some reason, not sure why.

      Delete
  17. Oh man! 3 weeks off! I get 2, but I have to work all this week until I'm free. I'm SO very excited for a break! A HP studio tour sounds so fun!

    Eeep! The Winner's Crime and Invaded! I'm really looking forward to both of those! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Winner's Crime…Invaded!!!!! I can't wait to read those, hope they're amazing! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woots! Yay for a break! That would definitely get me in the spirit of things too :D Hope yall have a great time off!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww, this time round I've barely heard of these books. As always though, it's exciting to see that every week you get so much new stuff. Great haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I am terrible when it comes to books. I need to slow down a little, my unread TBR is out of control.

      Delete
  21. 3 weeks! I am soooo jealous! I have 5 days off of Christmas and that's not even close to enough.
    I can't wait to see your pictures from the studio tour. I went to the Wizarding World a few years ago and I was in a dreamy daze all day. My friend had to drag me away.
    Lobsters still makes me laugh and think of Friends. I now want to rewatch some of my fave Friends episodes. So thanks. :P
    I love the UK edition of My True Love Gave to Me. I love my copy to, but I'm going to be buying your edition also. Have you read any of the stories yet? Of course Rainbow Rowell was my fave. She's amazing!
    I also have The Winner's Crime and ahhhhhhh!!!! I'm scared to finish it because I've heard it's soul destroying. :S
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited! I'm sorry you only get 5 days off, but I hope you love it.
      I love the tour so much, it's so fun and perfect for any HP fan! :)
      OH NO!! You're the second person who has said that about TWC and NOW I AM SCARED!!! Noooooo *cries*

      Delete
  22. Your book haul looks amazing :D I've read It's Kind Of A Funny Story before, it's a good book overall. Hope you like it!

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, it always makes my day! Because of time restraints, this is now an award free zone but thanks so much for considering me! Feel free to leave a link to your own blog and I will come visit.