Image Map

My Weekly Book Haul: 20/12/2014

It's been a beyond amazing week for me. I am finally off work and I am loving every moment. I really want to just have days where I sit indoors, read and do nothing but so far I have had something or other to do every single day. I have managed to complete the Harry Xmas To You challenge within two weeks. I reread all 7 Harry Potter books and watched all 8 movies and loved every moment of it. Although, even though I loved most cast choices, I still think Bonnie Wright makes a terrible Ginny. I'm also getting so excited for Christmas! I just want it to hurry up and get here for many reasons. 1 - It's going to be so fun, spending the day with all the family. 2 - I can't wait to see what books I've received. 3 - Going on the HP Studio Tour for the second time on the 27th.

All the Bright PlacesI finally got to post my review for All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven, which is coming out on January 6th. It's one of my top reads of the year and I highly recommend it! Jennifer Niven is also so lovely and was really positive about the review. Even though I admit that I panicked and felt like I may have died when she said she'd read it.

I went out for the day with a friend this week, we went for a walk around London to some of our favourite places. I was in Foyles, near Oxford Circus, were I was spending far too long trying to decide what to buy - I wanted everything! I was reading out my wishlist to my friend when a woman interrupted and told me that White Cat is really good. After talking for a while she mentioned she wrote books and so I had to find out which ones. I was so pleased to find out it was Sarah Rees Brennan because her Lynburn Legacy has been on my wishlist for so long. She was kind enough to sign the two books in the series they had in the shop for me. She also offered to kill me off in a book because she liked my name - I would love that because I've never found my name in a book before.



I'll be linking up with Stacking the Shelves over at TyngaReviews.

Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1) Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2) Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy, #3)
Unspoken, Untold & Unmade by Sarah Rees Brennan
Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?
I'm very excited to try this series for the first time. I'd only put off buying it because I could never find the matching book one cover for the series.

The Edge of FallingThe Edge of Falling by Rebecca Serle
Caggie's life was perfect.But when a moment of recklessness on the Manhattan rooftops is misunderstood by her friends and family, Caggie knows that her life has changed forever. Nothing makes sense anymore, and no one seems to understand.Then she meets the dark and enigmatic Astor - the only person who understands what she's going through. But as he seduces Caggie further away from her old life and everyone she once cared about, she starts to wonder if she'll ever find her way back. Because once you fall, there's no going back.

I went to my favourite charity shop near Tottenham Court Road, where you can find some amazing YA fiction for amazingly cheap prices, and couldn't say no to this and the next two books. They were so cheap- only cost me £8 for all three.

The VisionistThe Visionist by Rachel Urquhart
'It was years before a Visionist came to the City of Hope. How could I have fathomed that her presence in our small, remote sanctuary - as unforeseen to her as to anyone - would change everything?' Massachusetts, 1842. Fifteen-year-old Polly Kimball sets fire to her family farm, killing her abusive father. With his fiery ghost at her heels, Polly and her young brother seek refuge in a local Shaker community - the City of Hope. Polly has much to hide from this mysterious society of believers, with the local fire inspector on her trail and the ever-present daemons from her past. But when they hail her a 'Visionist', the first their community has known, she is subject to overwhelming scrutiny. Despite being fiercely protected by a young Shaker sister named Charity, a girl who has never known the outside world yet will stake her very soul on Polly's purity, Polly finds herself in danger from forces both sides of the City's walls. And in a world where faith and fear coexist, safety has a price…
I had to buy this... mostly because it was ridiculously cheap but also because it's such a stunning looking book. Lets hope the inside is as good as the cover.

Blue (Blue #1)Blue by Lisa Glass
Surfing is sixteen-year-old Iris’s world, and when the ultra-talented Zeke walks into her life, it soon becomes her passion.Over one amazing summer, as she is drawn into his sphere, she experiences love, new friendships, but also loss, with an intensity she never dreamed of.But is Zeke all he seems? What hides beneath his glamorous and mysterious past? When Iris decides to try for her own surfing success, just as her ex-boyfriend comes back into her life, she will test her talent, and her feelings for Zeke, to the limit… 

Outlander (Outlander, #1)Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of Our Lord . . . 1743. Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life, and shatter her heart. For here James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire—and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

I have wanted to read this for the longest time, mainly so I can then watch the TV show. I have heard amazing things about both. I won this in an Instagram giveaway from The Corner Library.



I was lucky enough to receive this awesome package from Bloomsbury, who are just too lovely. It not only came with a wonderful Harry Potter poster, some bookish postcards, chocolate and hot chocolate mix. But there was also books. Two of which I am lucky enough to already own as one I had signed at YALC and the other Bloomsbury had sent me to review before. But the most important was that I now have A Court of Thorns and Roses in my possession! *dies of happiness*


A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
Feyre’s survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price.Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre’s presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.

The Sleeper and the SpindleSleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman & Chris Riddell
A thrillingly reimagined fairy tale from the truly magical combination of author Neil Gaiman and illustrator Chris Riddell – weaving together a sort-of Snow White and an almost Sleeping Beauty with a thread of dark magic, which will hold readers spellbound from start to finish. On the eve of her wedding, a young queen sets out to rescue a princess from an enchantment. She casts aside her fine wedding clothes, takes her chain mail and her sword and follows her brave dwarf retainers into the tunnels under the mountain towards the sleeping kingdom. This queen will decide her own future – and the princess who needs rescuing is not quite what she seems. Twisting together the familiar and the new, this perfectly delicious, captivating and darkly funny tale shows its creators at the peak of their talents.

Apple and RainApple and Rain by Sarah Crossan
When Apple's mother returns after eleven years away, Apple feels whole again. But just like the stormy Christmas Eve when she left, her mother's homecoming is bittersweet. It's only when Apple meets someone more lost than she is that she begins to see things as they really are.A story about sad endings.A story about happy beginnings.A story to make you realise who is special.


Half Wild by Sally Green
Half Wild (The Half Bad Trilogy, #2)After finally meeting his elusive father, Marcus, and receiving the three gifts that confirm him as a full adult witch, Nathan is still on the run. He needs to find his friend Gabriel and rescue Annalise, now a prisoner of the powerful Black witch Mercury. Most of all he needs to learn how to control his Gift – a strange, wild new power that threatens to overwhelm him.Meanwhile, Soul O'Brien has seized control of the Council of White Witches and is expanding his war against Black witches into Europe. In response, an unprecedented alliance has formed between Black and White witches determined to resist him. Drawn into the rebellion by the enigmatic Black witch Van Dal, Nathan finds himself fighting alongside both old friends and old enemies. But can all the rebels be trusted, or is Nathan walking into a trap?

Completely forgot to add this in when I did the post, but look what arrived the other day! This is the kick up the butt I need to finally read Half Bad. This book is too pretty as well!


Top Ten Tuesday: New-To-Me Authors of 2014
This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Love and Other Unknown Variables by Shannon Lee Alexander
My Weekly Book Haul: 13/12/2014
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
Top Ten Tuesday: Top Reads of 2014
All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven



59 comments:

  1. Awesome haul! I've been meaning to pick up a copy of Outlander because Scotland is just so darn cool. I hope you enjoy your books and I'll love to hear your thoughts on Outlander when you get around to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to love Outlander, I've heard so many good things.

      Delete
  2. I'm admiring your Lynburg Legacy purchase this week- I own the first book in the series (with the first version of the cover which I ADORE) but have procrastinated on buying because the new covers for the last two books don't match! (Bookish OCD...) that package from Bloomsbury looks lovely! I can't wait to see your thoughts on a Court of Thorns and Roses. Have a lovely break from work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW!!! I have that OCD too, so it was really hard for me to buy all three. But when they're signed, how can I resist!

      Delete
  3. I've heard great things about Untold and the books that follow it in the series - I even own those on ebook, but haven't managed to read them yet. I am definitely looking forward to reading your thoughts on those at some point :)
    Have a good weekend and I hope you enjoy all these wonderful books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I own the first book in the Lynburn Legacy! It's so cool that you got to meet Sarah Rees Brennan. I'm also really looking forward to A Court of Thorn and Roses! :-) Hope you have a lovely Christmas and a great break! Here is MY STS

    ReplyDelete
  5. NO WAY BRENNAN?? I read Unspoken and I LOVED IT. I just need time to finish it. What a crazy but amazing experience to just meet an author completely out of the blue. She sounded incredibly sweet!

    ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY, CHARNELL! You need and DESERVE a good break. Aaah! The HP looms. Have fun! AND ACOTR !!! :O :O Maas has some high expectations to meet but I have faith that she'll smash it with this one. I HOPE YOU LOVE IT! <3 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really was so sweet and friendly. I was shocked to just randomly meet an author like that, but it was such a fun experience too.

      Thanks, I loved the holidays and Maas smashed it! ;)

      Delete
  6. You had an amazing week! I cannot wait to be off work as well, it's been super busy 3 months!
    And yay for HP marathon, I envy you, this year I only managed to reread 5 of them! I need to go to the studio again! :X
    Awesome meeting an author as well! How cool is that?!
    AND ACOTAR!!! SO jealous! <3
    Awesome!
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was really awesome to just randomly bump into an author. ACOTAR was AMAZING! But I wouldn't have expected any less from Maas.

      Delete
  7. When I found a book with my name in it, I immediately read it because I'm fairly sure I'll never find Patrice again in a book. So exciting that she'll kill you off because she likes your name though! So many amazing books here. I'm super jealous of A Court of Thorns and Roses! Hopefully you keep enjoying your break and do find some time to just sit and chill haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope she sticks to that and murders me! I WOULD LOVE THAT ;) haha

      Delete
  8. I really want to read All the Bright Places, I've seen such positive reviews on it almost everywhere. Amazing haul though, Bloomsbury always seems to have a lot of gems.

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a beautiful book and it made me cry far too much.

      Delete
  9. Ooooh! So many lovely books this week. I'm so jealous of that package from Bloomsbury!

    Happy reading!

    My StS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That package made me really happy, Bloomsbury are the best! :)

      Delete
  10. WOW! That is so, so, SO cool that you met Sarah Rees Brennan! I haven't read her books but I desperately want to read them - she also seems extremely nice. A Court of Throne and Roses sounds amazing! :)

    Enjoy your new books! :)

    Kyra @ Blog of a Bookaholic
    My STS Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was so lovely, it made me even more excited to try her books.

      Delete
  11. Wow, what a haul! I've been trying to get my hands on Unmade from the library. Must. Have. Patience. Have been hearing a lot of sexy things about A Court of Thorns and Roses. Hope you like! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOoh nice! Yay for wins and SIGNED books! And eep! You got ACOTAR too?! Soo looking forward to that one and the pubs soooo did not send me one. :(

    Hope you enjoy all your awesome new reads!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love, love, LOVE The Lynburn Legacy Books. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 😄 PEACE 😊
    First tIme I have seen your blog look for a place to follow and didn't see one. We appear to read different books I read mysteries. My blog
    http://idahobluebird50.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on meeting your H.P. reading goals (and movie goals!).
    I love that series!

    And look at all your fantastic reads, congrats!

    I just finished All the Bright Places and seriously the best book! I cried so hard and just when I thought I was done crying I would cry some more! I loved it. I am so happy I read it. I am still thinking about it constantly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Great haul (I'm totally jealous, btw) and what luck meeting Sarah Rees Brennan! That's so cool! It sounds like you're winning at life right now :) Enjoy all of your awesome books!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My StS

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that haul. My book ban still stands e_e but I picked up a whole bagful of books at the library and I feel as chuffed as if I bought them :3 But I spent far too much on books this year so I'm glad I did find them. Aww you were gift the Sarah J. Maas book! (You've wanted that for a while, haven't you?)
    What a great story about meeting Sarah Rees Brennan! Such a great story, I'm starting to feel as though I never leave the house anymore! (my life is super. boring.) Enjoy your awesome haul! Can you believe it's 2015 in 10 days... maybe time for 3/4 more books? If you read fast? =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wanted that book for so long!!! The wait till the May release was killing me, I couldn't handle it. Thankfully I got it, read it and loved it! :)

      I know, it felt so random to just run into an author that I know and whose books I have wanted to read for so long.

      Delete
  18. AFJSDKLS YOU HAVE A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES AND HALF WILD!!! LIKE THE TWO BOOKS I AM ABSOLUTELY FLAILING OVER RIGHT NOW. HANG A SEC. I'M GETTING MY PRIVATE JET TO COME VISIT YOU AND READ YOUR BOOKS. *flails wildly forever and ever*

    And I will sit here forever and say White Cat is AMAZING and so so good and you should so read them. HOLLY BLACK. She is the Queen of heists and cons. Reeeeead it someday, okay?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! If only you had a private jet and could actually come see me. I want you to be able to read ACOTAR and flail about it with me.

      Delete
  19. I'm so behind on new books so your haul is definitely helping me in updating myself again! I've been meaning to read Outlander since it has such a huge fan base. I actually saw a few episodes of the series too and I liked it but I feel bad for not reading the book first so I stopped lol. Can't wait to read your thoughts about it! Love your blog! The layout is so pretty ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) I really hope I end up loving Outlander, I really want to see the TV show.

      Delete
  20. What luck running into an author! So awesome! Great books too! Enjoy! Happy Reading & Happy Holidays!

    My Stack

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aw yay! I'm so glad to hear you're having a lovely go of things this week! It sounds like such fun! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a wonderful Christmas, I loved every minute of it.

      Delete
  22. Oh WOW that story about Sarah Rees Brennan is amazing! What are the chances?! Also, THE BOOKS. I am trying not to be jealous, but fine, I am a little jealous ;) A Court of Thorns and Roses and Apple and Rain.. I need them! I do. And I am jealous of this break you speak of as well! Ah, it sounds so lovely, all of it. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and of course a wonderful time at the HP tour too!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I couldn't believe it, haha. The break was so nice and I enjoyed every minute of it, although I really didn't want to go back to work.

      Delete
  23. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a little jealous of that Bloomsbury package ;) It looks amazing and hellooooo, A court of thorns and roses! I'm willing to do a lot to get my hands on that book early, haha. Happy reading :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm happy to know that you did get to read ACOTAR and I am so happy you loved it. That book was INCREDIBLE!!!

      Delete
  24. "She also offered to kill me off in a book because she liked my name." BAHAHA that must've been awesome. And so fab that she talked books with you! <3 And you're haul's super gorgeous. *_*

    ReplyDelete
  25. So jealous you got to meet Sarah Rees Brennan. I've met her a couple times and ever time is so awesome. Tots jealous as my future mother in law would say. Wow sounds like you had an awesome week. I have been on break from school for 3 days but it feels like longer. I have so much to do but will definitely be squeezing in some reading Thank you for sharing your week and I hope you get a lot of goodies for the holidays.

    Sharrice@ Reese's Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was super lovely! :) I was lucky enough to get so many wonderful books and presents for Christmas :)

      Delete
  26. Getting a break from work is always nice. Wow, nice job on completing the Harry Potter challenge. That's intense. :) I recently watched all eight movies over the course of two weeks for the first time.

    I'm so excited to read All The Bright Places! I'm on the wait list at the library so as soon as they get it next month, I'll be able to read it. Yay! It's so cool Jennifer read your review.

    That's so awesome you met Sarah, I hadn't heard of the series before now, but it sounds great. Haha, that'd be so cool to be killed off in a book!

    I really want to read Outlander, mostly because it's a tv series now. Lol.

    Let me just say how jealous I am and how awesome it is that you have A Court of Thorn and Roses and Apple and Rain. Sleeper and Spindle sounds great. Another fantasy book to add to my everlasting TBR list. That cover is great.

    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice, but it also made it that much harder to go back to work afterwards.
      I hope you love it when you get to read it. It broke my heart and I loved every minute of it.

      Haha, I know. I really hope she kills me, haha. A sentence I never thought I would hear myself say.

      Sleeper and the Spindle is a gorgeous book, but it's a very short fairytale story.

      Delete
  27. Outlander is truly amazing. One of my all time favorites. Enjoy it!
    Laura
    Stacking the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lynburn Legacy is one of my favorite series, I think you will love Kami Glass. She's so sassy! How incredible that you randomly met Sarah Rees Brennan…things like that never happen to me, how lucky you are!! Have fun reading, I can't wait to see what you think of the Lynburn Legacy! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope I do! I know, I felt very lucky and she was such a nice person as well.

      Delete
  29. I really hope you have an awesome holiday! I can't think of another blogger who may need it or has earned it more than you! And it's pretty cool that you got to meet an author there. I have been to Foyles once, and I loved it :3 Apple and Rain looks like a good book to me, and I should really start reading some Neil Gaiman! I haven't tried Throne of Glass yet, but a lot of people have anticipated the read you got, so I am happy for you! What I am most jealous of is Outlander. I want that so bad :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The holiday was amazing and I loved every minute of it. I couldn't believe it when I realise who she was, it was so random. I hope I love Outlander, I have heard nothing but amazing things.

      Delete
  30. That's so freakin' awesome about you just randomly running into Sarah. A book nerds dream come true(to run into an author).
    We should definitely discuss our ACOTAR feels. THAT BOOK!!! My fave read of 2014 hands down.
    You should see my happy face about Outlander. Eeeeee! I'm gonna bug and bug you to start it. :D
    Half Bad is fantastic. So different. You should definitely be picking up that soon. I can't wait to get my hands on Half Wild.
    So many great books.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was and so very random too!
      WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT IT... THAT BOOK WAS INCREDIBLE!!!
      I want to love it so badly, really need to hurry up and read it.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, it always makes my day! Because of time restraints, this is now an award free zone but thanks so much for considering me! Feel free to leave a link to your own blog and I will come visit.